The Vegetable Connection’s volunteers are the lifeblood of this organization. If you are passionate about food justice, food access issues and connecting families to fresh food, join us!
Our volunteers help in so many ways. There are fund raisers, community outreach events, marketing, graphic arts, music, photography, data input, website updates, board of directors, leading tastings or workshops, and on and on. Whether you prefer a behind the scenes role or an up-front and center position, we have an opportunity for you!
Please check out the on-going Volunteer job descriptions to find the right fit for YOU! Then complete the volunteer application. We thank you for your interest and you will hear from us shortly.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
Assist the Program Director with a variety of tasks related to Feeding the Families and/or The Food School
- Updating data spreadsheets from annual surveys
- Hosting food tastings at farms or farmers’ markets (not in 2020)
- Leading or assisting with workshops
- Create educational posters and other communications tools
Time Commitment: negotiable.
Communications and Marketing Volunteer
- Maintain social media – Facebook and Instagram
- Assist with formatting and distributing the e-newsletter
- Update the organization’s website
- Create hardcopy marketing or promotion materials
- May have an opportunity to conduct research and compile data sets based on stakeholder and donor information
Time Commitment: negotiable.
Community Outreach Volunteer
Attendant at booths typically at farmers’ markets, community festivals, fairs and expos
- Arrive on time for shift
- Engage with people and explain organization
- Gather names and emails of people if interested in further information
- Assist with setting up/taking down the booth
Time commitment: usually a two hour shift.
Fund Raising Event Volunteer
Assist with the various tasks necessary to have a successful event.
- Coordinate or assist with silent auction
- Set up and/or strike the event
- Assist at the door with greeting and selling tickets
- Assist with creating promotional materials and distributing them
Time Commitment – varies with task but usually two hour shifts except for silent auction.
Special Events Fund Raising Planning Committee
The Volunteer will help aid in the planning of our annual events.
- Meet monthly or as needed
- Identify all tasks necessary for each event
- Assist with recruiting volunteers for events
- Report to Event Coordinator on regular basis
Time commitment varies during the year.
Member of Board of Directors
Basic Responsibilities of all members:
- Review and update the Organization’s mission and purpose – a compelling and crisp statement of what the organization strives to accomplish.
- Select and support the Executive Director – set clear objectives, expectations, and provide adequate compensation. Introduce to others, understand board role and evaluate executive annually.
- Ensure Effective Organizational Planning with participation in strategic planning process -think long range, ask good questions and own the plan.
- Ensure Adequate Resources – determine what is achievable, influence donors to give and provide your own annual gift.
- Manage Resources Effectively – approve annual budget and review monthly reports
- Determine and Monitor the Organization’s Resources/Programs – serve on committees and once again, ask the right questions.
- Enhance the Organization’s Public Image – expect a high level of sophisticated communications with the public and be an active personal link to the community.
- Serve as the Court of Appeal – be available for the executive to use for consultation when executive’s judgment is challenged.
- Develop and Assess Itself as a Board – be open to annual self-assessment, including board effectiveness, board composition, selection process or structure.
Time commitment: term length is two years with monthly meetings of 11/2 to 2 hours except for one month being a half-day planning meeting. Board members are encouraged to attend special events and participate in organization tasks that are of interest to them.